Tuesday 22 May 2007

Disappointment

It was another very disappointing display from Thunderbolt Jaxon, and it highlights the folly of persevering with horses who don't do it on the track. There's no question that TJ has speed and some level of ability, but he's not showing it and his runs if anything are getting worse.

Pete has another 2yo running today, and I suspect he will keep his 100% record in tact. Western Art is not one of the leading lights, but he is decent and straightforward and should be up to winning a Leicester maiden. Mick Channon has one that is apparently fancied - Hatta Fort - and since he's provided the second to all of Pete's 2yo winners so far he can do so again.

There's not a lot else I like. I may have a bet on Wild Fell Hall in the last at Leicester - I think he'll go ok although I'm not convinced about the trip.

6 comments:

Sandracer said...

Thunderbolt started slowly from a not favourable draw, was rushed up to lead and showed plenty of dash in so doing. Stayed in the lead for ni'on 5 furlongs and and weakened rapidly the first time up in a handicap.

I've seen worse have go on to win. The winner finally got it's head in front after 9 races.

HQO said...

I thought your Welcome Approach project had got home at Beverley, but alas JPS short headed you. Good spot and unlucky, hope you are an E/W man for some compensation. SE to help now too.

Andrew Black said...

SR - Pete was upset about the ride - he said Havlin burst the horse by doing too much too early. I'm sure he'll be better than this, but I'm disappointed at the moment.

hqo - I didn't do Welcome Approach - I spotted him in the morning but he likes it on the firm side and I wasn't sure what the ground at Beverley was going to be like (and I was in meetings all afternoon). I'm slightly relieved he didn't win.

Andrew Black said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandracer said...

AB wrote: "Pete was upset about the ride - he said Havlin burst the horse by doing too much too early. I'm sure he'll be better than this, but I'm disappointed at the moment.

Not many punters will know you post here, so I guess I was 1 of the few who knew the horse was going to be put up the front.

That said, I was myself surprised after the tardy start, the jockey screamed the horse up into the lead from a middle draw in such a fashion, and therefore was not bothered unduly by the horse weakening rapidly.

It tought me the horse has atleast a couple of gears.

The polytrack is not grass. Horses usually need atleast a "few" strides to get into top gear on the poly. Thunderbolt Jaxon went from 0-60 in a hot second.

Sods law AB. You get frustrated after disappointment, sell the horse on and watch it run up 4 wins in a row over 6 or 7 furlongs, coming from just off the pace to storm by lesser horses from a too low handicap mark.

I never backed Thunderbolt this time, but I have my eye out for the horse for sure. After a tough time at 2, maybe time is of the essence. I have seen alot worse horses do alot better over the years.

HQO said...

Andrew are these two addresses meant to mirror each other as the co.uk one is stuck on the 19th?

http://www.bertsblog.co.uk/
http://bertshorseracingblog.blogspot.com/

cheers